C-7 Low Voltage Systems Contractor’s License Guide

Looking to get your C-7 Low Voltage Contractors’ license in California – so you can do professional low voltage electrical work on construction projects in the state?

Well, you’re off to a great start. The C-7 license is a fantastic way to pick up low-voltage jobs in the state, installing simple electrical wiring and systems like cable and satellite dishes.

But what else do you need to know about the C-7 license? In this simple guide, we’ll get you started with everything you need to know about the C-7 license: what it is, who needs one, where to get one, and how to get yours today.

What Does a Low Voltage Systems Contractor Do?

A C-7 Low Voltage Systems Contractor in California specializes in – you guessed it – low-voltage electrical systems, including installation, maintenance, and removal.

  • Installing, servicing, and maintaining communication and low-voltage systems
  • Working with systems limited to 91 volts or less
  • Handling telephone, sound, cable television systems, satellite dish antennas
  • Managing low-voltage landscape lighting
  • Excluding work on low voltage fire alarm systems, fire protection equipment, lock and security equipment, and solar equipment

What is a C-7 Low Voltage Systems Contractor License?

The C-7 Low Voltage Systems Contractor License is essential for anyone working on low-voltage systems in the state. It’s a subset of the Class C classification of the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) contractor’s license.

The CSLB is responsible for ensuring that construction contractors and the jobs they do in California are habitable, high-quality, and safe to live in. The main way they ensure construction standards are kept in the state is via the contractor’s license.

The contractor’s license, then, is essentially proof that the California government has verified that the license holder meets the strict standards of construction in the state of California.

Who Needs a C-7 License?

Practically anyone who does low-voltage work in California requires a C-7 license – but if low-voltage electrical systems are not your main area of work, you may not need a C-7 license.

For instance, if you’re simply installing a light on a patio, then you probably don’t need a license. However, if you’re hired on to install a series of lights for full backyard renovation, you probably will need one.

Key Duties of a C-7 Contractor

Key responsibilities include:

  • Job planning and design
  • Material selection and estimation
  • Wire/cable installation and termination
  • Systems configuration and installation
  • Testing and project closeout
  • System troubleshooting, repair, or replacement
  • Maintaining safety standards

Common Types of Jobs for a C-7 Contractor

The jobs typically handled by C-7 contractors include:

  • VoIP phone systems
  • Audio & video design
  • Low voltage lights
  • Telecom services
  • Integrated systems
  • TV connection/home entertainment/cabling solutions
  • Cable installation
  • Security surveillance/data & security/network services
  • Satellite & television systems design
  • Surround sound services
  • Voice & data networks
  • Computers and electronics
  • Home theaters, home automation
  • Gate & entry systems
  • Cabling, building out floor plans, and fiber optics

When Do You Need a Low Voltage Systems Contractor License?

The threshold for whether you need a C-7 license is whether you’re working on a job where materials and labor costs over $500. If your job is less than $500 in total, you qualify for the minor work exemption – meaning you don’t need a C-7 license.

However, in any case – if you’re doing any low-voltage electrical work over $500, you absolutely need to have a C-7 license.

How to Get a C-7 License in California?

To obtain a C-7 license you have to apply for the C-7 license via the CSLB website. In order to get your license, you must meet a number of requirements.

Here are the main requirements to get your C-7 license:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Four years of journeyman-level experience; or three years’ apprenticeship or education and one year of on-the-job professional training.
  • Pass the Low Voltage Systems Examination and the Law and Business Exam
  • Pass an FBI background and fingerprint check
  • Supply proof of contractor’s bond
  • Submit an application and pay relevant fees, including:
    • Initial application fee: $330
    • Two-year license card fee: $200
    • Background check and fingerprinting: Approximately $75

What’s The Difference Between a C-7 and C-10 Contractor License?

When it comes to electrical work, you may wonder whether you need the C-7 Low Voltage Electrical Contractor license or C-10 Electrical Contractor license.

How are the two licenses different? It’s rather simple – the C-7 license only allows you to do work on systems up to 91 volts. That means you cannot perform electrical work on any electrical system over 91 volts – you absolutely need a C-10 license in that case.

Basically, the C-7 license covers all minor electrical work, while the C-10 license covers significant electrical work, including high-voltage electrical systems. The C-10 license is specifically designed for electricians, while the C-7 license tends to be for people who work with electrical systems installs – people like cable installers or simple lighting systems.

What Other License Classifications Are Good to Have for C-7 Contractors?

For contractors looking to expand their business scope and the array of services they can offer clients, a C-7 license can be an exceptional arrow to add to your quiver. Here’s some common license classes that often have C-7 licenses as well.

  • Class B General Building Contractor: Gen Cons are always looking to add new classifications to increase the array of offerings you can provide to clients – a C-7 license is a no-brainer as it allows GCs to keep that work in-house.
  • Class C-10 Electrical Contractor: As you might expect, Class C-10 license holders often add a C-7 license to cover the entirety of electrical work in the state. This way you can do both high and low voltage work.
  • C-27 Landscaping Contractor: Many C-7 license jobs involve outdoor projects – things like backyard renovations, patios, and deck builds. The C-7 license allows contractors involved in these projects to install the often-requested lighting systems.
This entry was posted in Contractor Business, Contractor Jobs, Tips on by .

About CSLS

Contractors State License Service (CSLS) is the largest school in California devoted to the Construction professional. For over 23 years, CSLS has helped its students pass the exam to become licensed contractors in the State of California, licensing more students than any other school. From our main offices in Southern California, CSLS operates over 25 locations with full-service support and classrooms. We have grown to this extent by providing quality, professional services. In comparison, this provides 7 times the number of convenient locations than the second largest contractor school. Contractors State License Services is one of the only contractor schools in the state that is run by educators, not lawyers or people mostly interested in the bonding and insurance business. Contractors State License Services formerly operated under the oversight of the State of California's Bureau for Private Post Secondary and Vocational Education. As of January 1 2010, the new Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) came into existence replacing the BPPVE. CSLS now operates under the provisions of the California Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009 (CPPEA), Article 4 Section 94874(f). Our Mission is simple; We can help you pass your California Contractors License Exam. Celebrating our 25th year, CSLS has helped over 120,000 students pass the California contractor licensing exam to become licensed contractors in the State of California. Additionally, we offer complete home study and online contractor’s license programs to help you pass your California contractors license exam. CSLS offers licensing classes for all types of contractor licenses, including General Engineering Contractor, General Building Contractor, Specialty Contractor, Insulation and Acoustical Contractor, Framing and Rough Carpentry Contractor, Cabinet, Millwork and Finish Carpentry Contractor, Concrete Contractor, Drywall Contractor, Electrical Contractor, Elevator Contractor, Landscaping Contractor, Warm-Air Heating, Ventilating and Air-Conditioning Contractor, and many others. For a complete list of contractor licenses, visit www.MakeMeAContractor.com and tuned for more informative posts.