C-9 Drywall Contractor’s License: A Comprehensive Guide

Looking to become a licensed drywall contractor in California, so you can start making money doing drywall fitting, installs, maintenance, and more?

We’ve got you covered. In our latest comprehensive license guide, we’ll cover everything related to the C-9 license: what it is, who needs it, what kinds of jobs you can do with a C-9 license, and more!

Let’s dig in.

What Does a C-9 Drywall Contractor Do?

A drywall contractor specializes in the installation, taping, and texturing of gypsum wallboard assemblies, including nonstructural metal framing members. Drywall contractors are skilled professionals responsible for installing wallboard panels, which are used to construct walls and ceilings in buildings.

Their work involves measuring, cutting, and fitting these panels into the framework of buildings and ensuring a smooth, finished surface that’s ready for painting or wallpapering. The main day-to-day tasks include taping and applying joint compound to seams between panels, as well as patching and sanding imperfections to create a seamless appearance.

C-9 drywall contractors play a crucial role in both residential and commercial construction by ensuring walls and ceilings are properly installed and finished to meet building standards and aesthetic requirements.

While C-9 drywall contractors install drywall, they may not paint these walls (that’s a C-33 Painter’s License) nor may they build the framing around them (that’s a C-5 Carpenter’s License).

What is a C-9 Drywall Contractor License?

The C-9 Drywall Contractor License is a classification under the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB) that permits individuals or companies to legally perform drywall installation and repair services within the state of California.

This license is a testament to the holder’s expertise in the field, ensuring any C-9 license holder meets the state’s rigorous standards for safety, quality, and professionalism. Without a C-9 license, you cannot do any drywall work on projects over $500.

Who Needs a C-9 License?

Individuals or businesses that undertake drywall projects in California where the total cost (labor and materials) exceeds $500 must possess a C-9 license. If your job is less than $500, you can do drywall work without a C-9 license, but those cases are rare.

Licensure ensures that all parties involved are qualified and capable of adhering to state regulations and building codes – and penalties are serious and severe for people who do work without a contractor’s license.

When Do You Need a C-9 Drywall Contractor License?

As we’ve just covered, you need a C-9 license before bidding on any project that involves drywall work exceeding $500 in California. That’s right – beyond doing the work itself, you need a license to even bid on a project!

Furthermore, a C-9 license whenever doing any sort of drywall work over $500. This involves practically anything related to drywall, including the nonstructural and aesthetic work surrounding an installation.

As previously stated, the main areas that require a C-9 license are:

  • Installation of gypsum wallboard
  • Nonstructural metal framing members
  • Taping and texturing operations

Most Common Types of Jobs for a C-9 Contractor

C-9 Contractors can undertake a variety of projects. Generally speaking, here are the main areas you’ll be working on as a C-9 contractor.

  • Installation & finishing of drywall in new structures and remodels
  • Patching/repairing of drywall
  • Metal stud framing
  • Acoustic ceiling removal
  • Sound control installations
  • Suspended ceilings​.

Digging deeper, here are some more specific types of jobs for C-9 contractors:

  • Fire-rated Drywall Installation: Projects that require fire-resistant drywall to meet building codes and enhance the safety of structures.
  • Moisture-resistant Drywall Installation: In areas prone to moisture such as bathrooms and kitchens, moisture-resistant drywall is essential for preventing mold and water damage.
  • Acoustic Drywall Installation: For buildings where sound insulation is crucial, such as apartments, hotels, and schools, using acoustic drywall helps in reducing noise transmission.
  • Architectural Drywall Features: Creating custom arches, eaves, and other architectural features that require precise drywall shaping and installation techniques.
  • Decorative Texturing: Applying specialized textures to walls and ceilings for aesthetic purposes, including but not limited to, knockdown, orange peel, and smooth finishes.
  • Drywall Art and Sculpting: Crafting artistic elements or sculpted details into drywall, which can include recessed lighting coves or custom relief work.
  • Seismic Retrofitting: Installing or upgrading drywall systems to improve a building’s earthquake resilience, often involving the use of flexible fasteners and reinforced framing.
  • Lead-lined Drywall Installation for X-ray Rooms: In medical facilities, installing lead-lined drywall is necessary to provide protection against X-ray radiation.
  • Egress and Fire Escape Routes: Constructing or modifying walls to ensure compliance with safety codes, including the installation of fire-rated drywall in stairwells and escape routes.
  • Water Damage Repair: Replacing or repairing drywall that has been damaged by water or moisture, including matching textures and finishes in restoration projects.
  • Historic Renovation: Working within the constraints of historic preservation standards to repair or replace drywall in a way that maintains the integrity of the original structure.
  • Crack and Hole Repairs: Addressing structural and cosmetic issues in drywall, from small punctures to larger areas of damage, ensuring a seamless finish.
  • Insulating Drywall Systems: Installing drywall products that come with built-in insulation properties to enhance a building’s thermal performance.
  • Air Sealing: Implementing drywall installation techniques that improve the airtightness of a building, reducing energy loss and improving comfort.

Each of these tasks requires a deep understanding of building codes, materials, and techniques to ensure a high-quality finish that meets or exceeds the client’s expectations.

How to Get a C-9 License in California?

  • Experience Requirement: Applicants must prove a minimum of 4 years of journeyman-level experience in the drywall trade.
  • Age and Identification: Be at least 18 years old with a valid driver’s license or USA Issued Identification.
  • Application Process: Submit a completed application to the CSLB, including proof of experience and a $330 application fee.
  • Examination: Pass the two-part state CSLB exam covering trade-specific knowledge and California business law.

What’s the Difference Between a C-9 Contractor, a C-6 Contractor, and a C-5 Contractor?

The C-9, C-6, and C-5 classifications all fall under the broader category of carpentry and construction but specialize in different aspects.

A C-9 Drywall Contractor is specialized in the installation and finishing of drywall. In contrast, a C-6 Cabinet, Millwork, and Finish Carpentry Contractor specialize in building and installing cabinets, millwork, and other fine woodwork projects. A C-5 Framing and Rough Carpentry Contractor focuses on the framing work that provides the structural support for buildings, including framing systems, sheathing, subflooring, and related tasks.

The key difference lies in the specifics of their trade skills and the materials they work with. C-9 contractors work with gypsum wallboard, C-6 contractors with cabinets and fine woodwork, and C-5 contractors with structural wood framing. Each requires a unique set of skills, knowledge, and experience to meet the standards of their specific trade.

What Types of Contractors’ Licenses Are Good to Have in Addition to a C-9 License?

Holding additional licenses can expand a C-9 contractor’s business opportunities by allowing them to take on a broader range of projects. Here are a few licenses that complement the C-9 license well:

  • C-5 Framing and Rough Carpentry License: Since many drywall projects are part of larger construction projects that involve framing, having a C-5 license allows a contractor to handle both the structural and the finishing aspects of the project.
  • C-6 Cabinet, Millwork, and Finish Carpentry License: This license allows a C-9 contractor to offer comprehensive interior finishing services, including custom cabinetry and detailed millwork, alongside drywall services.
  • C-10 Electrical Contractor License: For projects that require electrical work behind walls before drywall installation, a C-10 license can be beneficial.
  • C-33 Painting and Decorating Contractor License: Since painting often follows drywall installation, having a C-33 license allows a contractor to provide a complete finish package to clients.

Popular Niches For C-9 License Holders

When it comes to being a C-9 contractor, there’s a number of general areas that you can work in. Here are some of the main niches where C-9 contractors can establish a powerful niche.

  • Complete Home Remodels and Renovations: Handling the framing, drywall, and finishing aspects of remodels can make a contractor a one-stop shop for clients.
  • New Residential and Commercial Construction: Being able to manage both the structural framing and the interior drywall and finishes can be a significant advantage.
  • Custom Home Theaters and Soundproofing Projects: With expertise in drywall, a contractor can specialize in creating custom entertainment spaces and soundproofing, areas that require specialized drywall techniques.
  • Energy-Efficient and Green Building Projects: Incorporating energy-efficient techniques in drywall installation, such as using sustainable materials and advanced insulation strategies, aligns with growing trends in construction.

Holding multiple licenses not only broadens the scope of potential projects a contractor can bid on and complete but also enhances their appeal to clients looking for a comprehensive range of services from a single provider.

By following the above guide and meeting California’s strict licensing requirements, anyone can embark on a rewarding career as a C-9 Drywall Contractor. This license not only opens the door to a wide range of projects that you may already be working on in other capacities, but the C-9 license also establishes the contractor’s credibility in an environment that thrives on trustworthiness and integrity.

This entry was posted in Construction, Contractor Business, Contractor Jobs, CSLB News, Tips on by .

About CSLS

Contractors State License Service (CSLS) is the largest school in California devoted to the Construction professional. For over 23 years, CSLS has helped its students pass the exam to become licensed contractors in the State of California, licensing more students than any other school. From our main offices in Southern California, CSLS operates over 25 locations with full-service support and classrooms. We have grown to this extent by providing quality, professional services. In comparison, this provides 7 times the number of convenient locations than the second largest contractor school. Contractors State License Services is one of the only contractor schools in the state that is run by educators, not lawyers or people mostly interested in the bonding and insurance business. Contractors State License Services formerly operated under the oversight of the State of California's Bureau for Private Post Secondary and Vocational Education. As of January 1 2010, the new Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) came into existence replacing the BPPVE. CSLS now operates under the provisions of the California Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009 (CPPEA), Article 4 Section 94874(f). Our Mission is simple; We can help you pass your California Contractors License Exam. Celebrating our 25th year, CSLS has helped over 120,000 students pass the California contractor licensing exam to become licensed contractors in the State of California. Additionally, we offer complete home study and online contractor’s license programs to help you pass your California contractors license exam. CSLS offers licensing classes for all types of contractor licenses, including General Engineering Contractor, General Building Contractor, Specialty Contractor, Insulation and Acoustical Contractor, Framing and Rough Carpentry Contractor, Cabinet, Millwork and Finish Carpentry Contractor, Concrete Contractor, Drywall Contractor, Electrical Contractor, Elevator Contractor, Landscaping Contractor, Warm-Air Heating, Ventilating and Air-Conditioning Contractor, and many others. For a complete list of contractor licenses, visit www.MakeMeAContractor.com and tuned for more informative posts.